Skip to main content

Modern Maker Twist on Cyanotype


The wonderful community of paper crafters and makers who "live" at Splitcoaststampers are the best! I don't have much time to craft this summer, really at all these past few years, but when I do and post them in my Member Gallery it makes my day! The challenges and events that go on throughout the year are widespread and have so much to offer. If you haven't stopped by there and had a look around you should go check it out!

What is even more of a treat is to be a part of the challenge host in the Mix-Ability forum. I'm so tickled every time I jump in there and challenge myself and others to get in my mixed media mindset. 

My last turn I completely forgot! The super sweet host MariLynn jumped in with a challenge to saved the day since I was distracted with my graduating daughter's events. Take a peek in the forum for any and all challenges here


My modern twist on cyanotype is with mono-printing and die cuts! Nothing new for a paper crafter, but I did mix my own version of Prussian Blue paint. Amazingly the same paint was used for my two samples. It's the difference between laying it down thick and then using what little you have left for a light see-through layer. 

I used my vast knowledge of mixing paints my whole life... hah!, and just searched for "how to mix Prussian Blue acrylic paint". Not going to lie, I was in a last-minute hurry with this project and didn't have time to discover the mixture myself.

I used my memory retrieval of Birgit Koopsen's reels(Instagram) on the simple use of stencils as masks. If you wanted to get closer to a look of cyanotype you might try her use of printed magazine pages. Take a look at that technique on the Gelli Plate blog.



Supplies: I provide some product links that are through my Amazon Affiliate, and that means when clicked and purchased in the same session a few pennies are sent my way at no cost to you.

Featured Product(s):
  • Gelli Plate (AZ)
  • Deco Art paint (Quinacridone Violet, Phthalo Blue, Red Hue)
  • die cuts
    • I used retired dies but here are a few that are similar
    • Tim Holtz Garden Greens (AZ)
    • Tim Holtz Wildflower Stems (AZ)
    • Lisa Jones Wild Leaves Wreath by Sizzix (AZ)
    • Gathered Leaves Ellison Sizzix (AZ)
Plus:

  • Brayer (AZ)
  • Copy Paper (AZ)
  • Cardstock (AZ)
  • Nocturne Ink Pad (AZ)
  • VersaMark Watermark Ink Pad (AZ)
  • MISTI Tool (AZ)
  • White Embossing Powder (AZ)

I'm a maker who receives goodies chosen by myself for design teamwork. To see a list of these companies just scroll to the bottom of my blog under FTC Declaration.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's Celebrate Plain Jane Style!

There is an Anni-Verve-Sary party going on today! Verve Stamp Company is 2 years old! The hop started at Verve's blog , so come hop on board and see over 5 dozen projects that are sure to get your Verve on! I've been waiting for the right time to blog about this project and when the opportunity came to join in the anniversary blog hop for Verve I knew it was time. My blog hop project today uses all Plain Jane Bible verses from Verve. I saw this project at Susan Roberts gallery on Splitcoaststampers and went to her blog to get the details . I decided to make one for my mother as a Christmas present...in 2008. Yep, I just now finished it and I have the blog hop to thank. Using sketches would have made this a whole lot faster. LOL The two cards shown in the picture above use the latest Plain Jane release for Psalm 121:1-2 (hanging on box) and Hebrews 11:1 (in front of box). And I'll give the details below, but first here's a slide show of the whole year. Hebr...

Friends Purge Hop 2012

A few blogging friends of mine are having a hard time letting go of much loved papers and embellishments, so we decided to share them with all of you in a week long Purge Hop!  If you’ve already been hopping along you have come from Julee’s blog , but if you are starting here just look at the list below for all the links to before and after to get in on all the fun. Just comment once on the hop spots you want a chance to win and tell us what you spy as your favorite item(s). The hop will stay open until January 28th, 5PM ET. Each of my friends will post a winner from their prize post on Monday, January 30th!       1. Tosha 6.  Julee     2.  Andrea 7.  Janelle     3.  Maureen 8.  Betty     4.  Sonja 9.  Teresa     5.  Laurie Here's my treasured supplies I'm willing to give away!  Numerous 6 x 6 sheets of scrapbook paper from these ...

Stampendous New Products - CLOSED

The winner is announced on this post . Mark your calendar to join the Stampendous Design Team next Saturday, for a fun blog hop, complete with prizes you don't want to miss.  We'll be showcasing all sorts of products just released at Winter CHA! Welcome Second Annual Scrappy Bowl Party! Thanks so much for popping in to see my Scrappy project using some new Essentials by Stampendous! As our team is getting ready for the blog hop this coming Saturday I wanted to give you a sneak peek of a new product. It's gonna knock your socks off! The new Color Fragments are so much fun to work with and have so much versatility. The technique I used for this journal cover is the Encrusted Jewels Technique  (video). Color Fragments are sprinkled over Deep Impressions Embossing Powder along with Shabby Blue Embossing Enamel and heat set from the back of the project. (That's just so the fragments don't soar off the page and to the floor.) Now for the Sc...