Skip to main content

It's Hip to Be Square

Close-up on one of the inchies on the card.

I'm finally able to post here on my blog. I've been crazy busy with work and the holidays and my other projects that time has just passed me by. Oh and I do believe there was a holiday in there too.

Lydia is hostessing this week's Mix-Ability Challenge over on Splitcoaststampers. And her challenge?

It's Hip to Be Square (MIX97)


MIX97 Retro Christmas Card by Janelle Stollfus

I started out with a few twinchies and well, I messed them up and ran out of time to re-do, so I used my leftover monoprint paper and completed this CAS card. I photographed it at night and had horrible problems with directional lighting changing the teal color to green (the close up at the top is more like the real card.)

Here's what I did with this card.

  1. Make monoprint with acrylic paint. (light color first, then while it's wet crumple it up and straighten it out, then use a second print with darker watery color without pressing the paper completely down)
  2. Stamp Holly Diamond onto sqaure. 
  3. Color with pencils.
  4. Dot Opaque white on berries and a few random spots.
  5. Add random glue pen marks on holly and sprinkle with glitter.
  6. Glue squares onto card base.
  7. Stamp Retro Christmas onto the base.
  8. Stamp small filigree from Yule Diamonds a few times around the sentiment and squares.

Close-up of MIX97 challenge card for Splitcoaststampers forum


Details:
Stamps: Yule Diamonds, Retro Christmas (Stampendous)
Paper: Watercolor paper for monoprint paper (Target), Kraft (Hobby Lobby)
Ink: Versafine Onyx Black (Tsukineko), colored pencils (Prismacolor), Black Brush Pen (Prismacolor)
Accessories: Opaque White (Copic), Teal Micro Glitter, Creative Palette (Stampendous), Aqua Glue (Tombow)

Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friends Purge Hop 2012

A few blogging friends of mine are having a hard time letting go of much loved papers and embellishments, so we decided to share them with all of you in a week long Purge Hop!  If you’ve already been hopping along you have come from Julee’s blog , but if you are starting here just look at the list below for all the links to before and after to get in on all the fun. Just comment once on the hop spots you want a chance to win and tell us what you spy as your favorite item(s). The hop will stay open until January 28th, 5PM ET. Each of my friends will post a winner from their prize post on Monday, January 30th!       1. Tosha 6.  Julee     2.  Andrea 7.  Janelle     3.  Maureen 8.  Betty     4.  Sonja 9.  Teresa     5.  Laurie Here's my treasured supplies I'm willing to give away!  Numerous 6 x 6 sheets of scrapbook paper from these ...

Let's Celebrate Plain Jane Style!

There is an Anni-Verve-Sary party going on today! Verve Stamp Company is 2 years old! The hop started at Verve's blog , so come hop on board and see over 5 dozen projects that are sure to get your Verve on! I've been waiting for the right time to blog about this project and when the opportunity came to join in the anniversary blog hop for Verve I knew it was time. My blog hop project today uses all Plain Jane Bible verses from Verve. I saw this project at Susan Roberts gallery on Splitcoaststampers and went to her blog to get the details . I decided to make one for my mother as a Christmas present...in 2008. Yep, I just now finished it and I have the blog hop to thank. Using sketches would have made this a whole lot faster. LOL The two cards shown in the picture above use the latest Plain Jane release for Psalm 121:1-2 (hanging on box) and Hebrews 11:1 (in front of box). And I'll give the details below, but first here's a slide show of the whole year. Hebr...

Stampendous New Products - CLOSED

The winner is announced on this post . Mark your calendar to join the Stampendous Design Team next Saturday, for a fun blog hop, complete with prizes you don't want to miss.  We'll be showcasing all sorts of products just released at Winter CHA! Welcome Second Annual Scrappy Bowl Party! Thanks so much for popping in to see my Scrappy project using some new Essentials by Stampendous! As our team is getting ready for the blog hop this coming Saturday I wanted to give you a sneak peek of a new product. It's gonna knock your socks off! The new Color Fragments are so much fun to work with and have so much versatility. The technique I used for this journal cover is the Encrusted Jewels Technique  (video). Color Fragments are sprinkled over Deep Impressions Embossing Powder along with Shabby Blue Embossing Enamel and heat set from the back of the project. (That's just so the fragments don't soar off the page and to the floor.) Now for the Sc...