Skip to main content

January Viva La Verve's



(unframed art...easier to photo)

I know it's February but I have a project to show that I completed well into the middle of January using the first week sketch from Viva La Verve this year.

The quick story is the following. I overloaded myself with paper flower tutorials and either combined two together or came across a brown sack lunch rolled flower tutorial. In any case, I made a few and wanted to put them on a project. I picked the first Viva La Verve sketch of the year to make a card, but I couldn't possibly put the flowers on a card to mail or even shove into an envelope when the largest one was over 1-inch thick, so I decided I'll frame it in a shadow box. The dry embossed panels were already finished when I decided to frame it so I debated on tossing them and making new ones or to try and position them for a standard 8 x 10 frame. I kept them and found a shadow box frame at Joann's for 10 bucks. yada, yada, yada. Two weeks later it's done. Two weeks further, it's blog posted. :)

Into the details...


I tried all sorts of embellishments for the trio element of the sketch, but nothing seemed to work... so I made some buttons. I used a Quickutz button die (thank you CJ!) on some thin chipboard paper and glued three dies together and sanded around the edges to hide the layers. Then I had just read about a new-to-try technique from the Paper Craft Connections blog (here), so I put it to use on these buttons. I  used some delicious stamp from Layers of Colors to press into the gold embossing powder that was first inked up with Brilliance Graphite Black. My daughter even helped out by stamping as soon as the third layer of embossing was heated.

Added 2/5/11: The instructions from Paper Craft Connections say that you can put some Versamark on your stamp before ink and that creates a release when pressed into the heated embossing powder. Thanks Linda for bringing this up in the comments!


The flowers a three different kinds of paper bag "paper". The medium size flower is from a lunch size paper bag which is thin and took distressing well. The large flower is from brown kraft shipping paper. This paper is thick and porous so when I colored with a misting spay bottle it was very bendable. The third and tiniest flower was made from a thinner kraft paper designated as dust cover paper (think about the paper that covers the back of a framed piece of art...yes this is a leftover from my picture framing business.) It was a happy medium paper that took well to distressing but stayed firm when spritzed with colored water and shimmer mist. Each of the flowers were glittered after they were rolled up by rubbing some clear gel glue with a cotton swab across the distressed edges. The centers are filled with some Quick dry Tacky glue and then sprinkled with Martha Stewart gold and brass microbeads.

Embellishments were added on top of embellishments in stages (because it just didn't look finished). Hand-stitching added to the panels. Seam binding ribbon from Martha Stewart was added on top of brown satin ribbon, then red adhesive back pearls. The sentiment panel was edge distressed and sponged with Ranger vintage photo and Walnut Distress inks. Back to more embellishment with gold cording and a rosette made out of metallic espresso paper. When it was finally framed I could breathe. LOL


Now that it's finished it will be making a home on the wall of our guest bedroom. Thanks for hanging in there with me. Have a great weekend!

Details:
Stamps: Verve Plain Jane Ecc 3:11 and Framed Wishes, Layers of Color Acanthus Leaves (for buttons)
Paper: Kraft cardstock, various kraft paper for flowers including brown sack lunch bag, Espresso metallic cardstock, thin chipboard (for buttons)
Ink: Versa Magic Magic Red, Ranger Distress Denim, Graphite Black, Spica Gold pen
Accessories: Fiskar decorative scissors (rolled flowers), embossing folders, paper piercer and SU! mat kit, Kaisercrafts red pearls, SU gold cording, Martha Stewart glitter, microbeads and brown seam binding ribbon, Ranger Queen's gold embossing powder

Comments

  1. STUNNING!!! I LOVE home decor projects. Isn't so much fun to be able to sit something you have designed out in your home. Your home becomes your studio. I can see how much love you put into this with all the handmade flowers and buttons! Have a blessed week!
    Melisa
    LOC DT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Janelle this is gorgeous - I love those rose and the divine buttons using the Layers of COlor Acanthus art stamp set! The technique you have used it amazing - I have seen it done but was not too sure of the scrylic stamps would handle the heat of the hot embossing powder - thenk you for showing me they can - I love the results!! Thank you for the inspiration! {{{hugs}}}
    Linda LOC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so beautiful, Janelle! Every detail is scrumptious! I love the colors, the textures and the techniques too! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in today and leaving me a comment! It brightens up my day!

I moderate all of your lovely comments, so if you don't see yours publish right away it's in my Inbox waiting to be read.

Have a wonderful day!

Popular posts from this blog

Friends Purge Hop 2012

A few blogging friends of mine are having a hard time letting go of much loved papers and embellishments, so we decided to share them with all of you in a week long Purge Hop!  If you’ve already been hopping along you have come from Julee’s blog , but if you are starting here just look at the list below for all the links to before and after to get in on all the fun. Just comment once on the hop spots you want a chance to win and tell us what you spy as your favorite item(s). The hop will stay open until January 28th, 5PM ET. Each of my friends will post a winner from their prize post on Monday, January 30th!       1. Tosha 6.  Julee     2.  Andrea 7.  Janelle     3.  Maureen 8.  Betty     4.  Sonja 9.  Teresa     5.  Laurie Here's my treasured supplies I'm willing to give away!  Numerous 6 x 6 sheets of scrapbook paper from these ...

Let's Celebrate Plain Jane Style!

There is an Anni-Verve-Sary party going on today! Verve Stamp Company is 2 years old! The hop started at Verve's blog , so come hop on board and see over 5 dozen projects that are sure to get your Verve on! I've been waiting for the right time to blog about this project and when the opportunity came to join in the anniversary blog hop for Verve I knew it was time. My blog hop project today uses all Plain Jane Bible verses from Verve. I saw this project at Susan Roberts gallery on Splitcoaststampers and went to her blog to get the details . I decided to make one for my mother as a Christmas present...in 2008. Yep, I just now finished it and I have the blog hop to thank. Using sketches would have made this a whole lot faster. LOL The two cards shown in the picture above use the latest Plain Jane release for Psalm 121:1-2 (hanging on box) and Hebrews 11:1 (in front of box). And I'll give the details below, but first here's a slide show of the whole year. Hebr...

Stampendous New Products - CLOSED

The winner is announced on this post . Mark your calendar to join the Stampendous Design Team next Saturday, for a fun blog hop, complete with prizes you don't want to miss.  We'll be showcasing all sorts of products just released at Winter CHA! Welcome Second Annual Scrappy Bowl Party! Thanks so much for popping in to see my Scrappy project using some new Essentials by Stampendous! As our team is getting ready for the blog hop this coming Saturday I wanted to give you a sneak peek of a new product. It's gonna knock your socks off! The new Color Fragments are so much fun to work with and have so much versatility. The technique I used for this journal cover is the Encrusted Jewels Technique  (video). Color Fragments are sprinkled over Deep Impressions Embossing Powder along with Shabby Blue Embossing Enamel and heat set from the back of the project. (That's just so the fragments don't soar off the page and to the floor.) Now for the Sc...