Featured Post

Rain Puddles Design Privacy Policy (Click for entire post)

I'm working on a new privacy policy for my followers, but for now, you should know that if you comment on my site, my site collects da...

Friday, April 29, 2016

Blog Hop Finale with Nathalie Kalbach and Friends


Hey there, it's Friday and I'm hopping with Stampendous again today for a finale round of inspiration with Nathalie Kalbach and I'm kind of excited to say that we are hopping with her fantastic Creative Squad too!

You are in for a treat, so get comfy and have fun jumping to each hop today with some fantastic inspiration.

Hop info before we get going, we have been hopping all week so if you are just getting sight of our hop you have four other days you can browse through, but there is also a little incentive. There are three prize packages for grabs from the folks who leave comments on our hop posts this week. Stop by the Stampendous blog for details!

Now here is my 3D project for today.


When I saw the Elephant set, I've kind of been dreaming of making a decor item out of it. I'm so glad I did this, learned a lot and I think I would sew muslin together next time to make the process faster and less expensive.


I purchased Balsa Wood and outlined 6 elephant shapes from the foam stamp. I trimmed all of them with a sharp craft knife, glued them all together and then sanded the edges or whittled them away in areas until I had the look I wanted.


I  painted in vibrant colors, but before any of that could happen I needed a good layer of white gesso to dry.


TIP: Stamping on tissue paper will give you a negative image when flipped. That's how I was able to make a two-sided art. The supply list and instructions are at the end of my post today. 

Now it's time to jump over to the next person in the hop!

Louise Healy

Janelle Stollfus - you are here!

Michelle Rydell

Marsha Valk

Gwen Lafleur

Cheiron Brandon

Lea Fritts

Pam Hornschu

Wendy Price

Supplies:

Stampendous:
NKCF01 Elephant Foam/Cling Rubber Stamp Set
STF082 Versafine™ Onyx Black Ink pad by Tsukineko®

Plus:
White tissue paper
Balsa wood 6" x 36"
Media Line paints by DecoArt
Matte Decoupage Sealer by DecoArt
Acrylic paint by Liquitex and Amsterdam
Black Paint Pen by Liquitex
Silver Metallic Uniball 1.0 Pen by Sanford
Paintbrushes
Wood Glue

Instructions:


  1. Trace around foam elephant stamp onto balsa wood and trim. Repeat for desired thickness of statue.
  2. Glue pieces together and press evenly for manufacturers suggested dry time.
  3. Use sandpaper and emery board to smooth edges.
  4. Paint a layer of white gesso all over and let dry.
  5. Paint base color and let dry.
  6. Stamp detail elephant stamp twice onto tissue paper with black ink and heat set. Trim closely to image edge.
  7. Brush on a coat of Decoupage sealer and then carefully place tissue over elephant shape, carefully brush down creases and air bubbles as you apply a top sealer coat. Repeat on other side with second stamped image.
  8. Use paint and paint markers to color sections of the design.
  9. Add one more layer of sealant and you're done.




Pin It

32 comments:

  1. Wooooow - this is soooo cool!!!!!! I love it so much!!! Amazing. Can't stop squealing because this makes me happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is stunning! I love elephants. I absolutely love the technique you've used! I LOVE this stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magical, fun and awesome!! You are a ROCK STAR! I absolutely love how you did this wonderful elephant! It is a lovely home decor piece that you can enjoy for years and years! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never would have thought of creating this. I'm way too excited about making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the design added to your elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful colored blue elephant in 3 dimensions- terrific1

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is wonderful and so beautiful! What a fabulous and different way to use the stamps. Thank you for the blog hop, for sharing your art and for the fantastic inspirations this week I really appreciate it. I hope you have a fab weekend Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a great way to use this stamps- so creative

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW, in Heaven's name, did you have time to make this??? OMG it's sooooo cute! I agree with Nathalie! I'll be squealing a long time over this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is fantastic.
    I'm an elephant fanatic anyway and love this
    one. If it ever needs a new home, I'll be
    glad to take it. I'm going to try this idea.
    thanks for sharing a wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so into elephants right now. Love the project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea and
    your elephant is so
    fun and pretty!
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! I love this elephant & how you created the thickness with layers. Beautiful colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!!!! This is such a cool piece! Love that you made decor with it, gorgeous shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely love the elephant.
    Sent from CT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That is so cool! Great idea-love the 3d~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the tip about stamping on tissue paper. Great idea, love the elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love elephants and this one is cool

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love elephants!!! Your elephant is beautiful!!! I live in the USA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love, love, love the elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome. I love the elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, this elephant is absolutely stunning! Great colors and what great bookstand.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Fantastic project and just amazing. Tons of work and time but so worth the effort. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW wow WOW
    Such a CLEVER and CREATIVE decor piece Janelle, LOVE IT!!! It reminds me of an ornament from a treasured friend.
    THANK YOU for sharing and for your tissue paper tip ... keeping a link to this post so I don't forget :)
    Tracy from Australia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very creative and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fabulous idea! Keitha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in today and leaving me a comment! It brightens up my day!

I moderate all of your lovely comments, so if you don't see yours publish right away it's in my Inbox waiting to be read.

Have a wonderful day!