Featured Post

Rain Puddles Design Privacy Policy (Click for entire post)

I'm working on a new privacy policy for my followers, but for now, you should know that if you comment on my site, my site collects da...

Monday, November 29, 2010

Something In the Works


Wow! Did you all have a wonderful couple of weeks? It's been a long time since I've posted so I'm sorry it's been quiet around here.

I've was busy with some non-card projects and then I spent two days cooking in the kitchen for our Thanksgiving feast, but then I was able to focus on this project I've had brewing in my head for a while.

Here's a peek at a label I've designed for a friend of mine. I'm not finished adding layers and bling yet, but I added enough to show you what it looks like, because I'm so excited about it.


I started out looking for a die-cut shape that I liked and even though a circle punch or die would have been the best idea, I just had to make it unique. I found the Papertrey Ink Jar Label die the right size and price to try out my skills.

The details on how I cut out the labels after printing them on metallic gold paper are somewhat time consuming, but I came up with a few tricks along the way that might be of some use. Why did I not come up with sooner?

Use a scrap piece of cardstock about a 1/2-inch larger than the diecut shape and center the diecut on and run through your cutting machine.

Have 4-5 small strips of vellum tape (I used Scotch brand) ready to hold the viewfinder and die in place once you have aligned it to your image. Place two pieces on the viewfinder.


Then slip the die cut over the viewfinder and wiggle it about so it can drop into the view finder. Place two strips of tape to secure it to the viewfinder.


The metallic paper is a bit thin and more flimsy than cardstock so it was always getting stuck in the die. I struggled with tweezers and stick pins to my Quick Kutz Tool trying to get them out and then on the last couple of cuts I realized I could use an extra piece of tape to get the cut paper out of the die. Boy, I wish I had figured that out sooner. Let's just say I have a really bad manicure now. LOL

Stuck paper in the die! My nemesis on this project.

My friend makes delicious caramel apples to give out to family and friends, so I hope to surprise her with these labels to use on the packaging. Hope she likes them!

Now I'm off to find the directions on making those accordian fold paper fans that are so popular on tags and cards right now. I think I know how to do it, but after cutting out all these tags I'm going to want to have someone else give me the tips and tricks to doing them.

Take care and have a wonderful Monday!

Details:
PaperTrey Ink Jar Label Die, circle punches, Lauren Script font from FONTSCAPE .com, scraps of ribbon and cardstock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in today and leaving me a comment! It brightens up my day!

I moderate all of your lovely comments, so if you don't see yours publish right away it's in my Inbox waiting to be read.

Have a wonderful day!