Featured Post

Rain Puddles Design Privacy Policy (Click for entire post)

I'm working on a new privacy policy for my followers, but for now, you should know that if you comment on my site, my site collects da...

Friday, June 25, 2010

Lovin' the Outdoors and Patriotism is in the air


We are going on a fabulous blog hop today with the InStyle Stamps Design Team. The theme is going to be a bit outdoors and patriotic. Doesn't that sound fun?

If you haven't started the hop from the beginning just go back TWO hops to the InStyle Stamps blog and then to Robin's awesome creation (after that you'll be right back here to hop on to the next stop at Cyndi's).


I've used an awesome image called Flag on a Stair Step card. I used the image twice omitting the flag on one of them. (If you are wondering how I got the flag to disappear on the back step of the card go to this Digital Masking tutorial).


I colored with Prismacolor markers and stamped Hero Arts Friend Definition background to the bottom left of the back image for a collage effect, then added some matching Stickles to each fireworks. The star firework was asking for some standout attention so I used the leftover star from the flag printout and adhered it with a pop dot adhesive. On the flag I needed some support so I added a thin gauge wire to the back of the flag pole with Glossy Effects. I started out with the images single hill but needed more of it to get to the other side of the card, so I just traced the hill onto another piece of white paper, adding another hill for dimension. The original hill is the securing piece to the new hill layer. (I think next time I will not be so eager to cut the paper so I won't have to cut and paste like I did) It was a little bit of work, but I think it looks okay. I stamped the text background on the hill but it's not visible from the first stair step of the card.

For the front of the card I used a few new items that I bought myself for an early birthday present. Tim Holtz edge die cut for the kraft paper, a die * namics (TM) jumbo rick rack die for the blue paper, and a couple of stamp sets from Verve for the star and sentiment. I pulled out my homemade star embossing folder to give some texture to the kraft paper.

I framed the middle and back step images with more kraft paper to help all three layers look framed together! Thanks for staying here to find out how I made this fun card.

Here is a list of the Design Team Blog Hoppers just in case you need to know where you are going. Cyndi is your next stop.

Robin
Janelle - you're here!
Cyndi
Jan
Genevieve
Taylor
Angelique
Angela
Kimme
Tina
Jodi
Kerry
Raquel

Details:
Card Size:  5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches
Stamps: ISS Flag, Verve Seeing Stars and Bountiful Backgrounds, Hero Arts Friend Definition
Ink: LaserJet, Prismacolor Markers, Versamark, SU! Brilliant Blue, Graphite Black
Paper: Neenah Smooth White, LSS Navy CS, Wausau Royal Fiber Kraft, Blue and Red CS from scraps
Accessories: Tim Holtz Alterations Brackets Bigz Die, MFT Die*namics Jumbo Rick Rack die, SU! tag punch, Stickles Glitter glue Yellow, Cotton Candy, Lime Green, craft wire

Prismacolor Details: Back Step - Indigo Blue, Periwinkle, Cloud Blue, Cream, Canary Yellow, Chartreuse, Spring Green, Deco Pink, Carmine Red; Middle Step - Dark Green, Light Olive Green, Indigo Blue, Cerulean Blue, Crimson Red, Carmine Red, Mahogany Red, Cool Grey 40% and 80%.


10 comments:

  1. Love the stairstep card J. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just FABULOUS, Janelle! LOVE it... you'll have to share the dimensions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome step-card!!! Very nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janelle, this is an awesome card. I've been wanting to try the stairstep technique and this one really inspires me. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally fabulous! Love the stair step design :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card, and I love the fireworks in the background.
    Hugs
    Cathy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love the step card with the flag and fireworks. It can be used for so many holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you cut the flag out and used it as a separate "layer" on your step card. Great use of this image!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janelle, this is marvelous! I love the vivid colours, and the step card was the perfect choice!

    Cheers,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in today and leaving me a comment! It brightens up my day!

I moderate all of your lovely comments, so if you don't see yours publish right away it's in my Inbox waiting to be read.

Have a wonderful day!