Featured Post

Rain Puddles Design Privacy Policy (Click for entire post)

I'm working on a new privacy policy for my followers, but for now, you should know that if you comment on my site, my site collects da...

Monday, April 5, 2010

Like mom, like daughter



It's the Monday after Easter and I don't know about you but I think I'm still stuffed from our dinner on Sunday. Easter has been celebrated and I'm so thankful for it's meaning. It's the best holiday I think my family and I celebrate, but second to that are birthday's. Wait, I think there is a tie, Mother's Day really must be the second as well. I'm saying all this because my card today is Ballet Matilda from DigiStamp Boutique and she's taking on a mother and daughter role. She is part of the Offer of the Month at a special discount price. You can also buy her individually, but why? All of them are so cute!


When I saw this dancing mouse I knew I had to work on the ruffles of her tutu and make them special. Not once, but twice! It is after all a card about a mother and a daughter.

Before I get started in on the details are a couple of DigiStamp NEED TO KNOW items.

The Offer of the month at DigiStamp Boutique (DSB) is the discounted set of the month and Sally-Ann has decided to bring back her wonderful monthly competition on the DSB blog. Use any image from the Offer of the month on a card and let her know about it on the blog post, then you are entered in a prize drawing for the next month's Offer of the Month. Your card can be used in any other challenge, Just in case I forgot any details, go to the DSB blog.


If you are quick you can also still get a 10% discount as an Easter treat at the DSB store. Hurry, I bet it ends at midnight UK time zone! {wink}


This is how I did it.
Let's start from the base up. I used Wausau Royal Fiber Chocolate cardstock from my local paper shop (see my sidebar) and cut it as a 5 1/2 x 11 sheet and scored it in half. I'll create a matching envelope with my scoring board later. Then I searched for some cheerful flowery paper and found what I was looking for in Me & My Big Ideas "Sassy" paper pack ($4.97 for 32 sheets at Big Lots).

If this doesn't sound silly, I actually did a Google search on mice colors and markings and I found this amazing site of copyright protected photos here. I fell in love with the Recessive Yellow mouse photo and that's where I was inspired for my Matilda's. I use MS PowerPoint almost always to position and print the images. It's easy to right click and get the size of the image and resize to a certain height or width, crop away any white space around it for getting the images close together and it's a pretty simple program to use. For Matilda I used the original size and then reduced and mirrored the second image for the "daughter" mouse. I copied both of the images a couple of times and cropped down to the flowers and tutu's for my layers, so I wouldn't waste paper or printer ink.

For the coloring I used my Prismacolor markers and detailed in with pencils. I really wanted to show the darker hair strands and that's the way to do it for me. You can get the colors I used at the bottom of this post.

I might have started off too soon with the size and shape of my card, because I didn't have a sketch in mind, but Mercy Kerin's Tuesday sketch (MTSC67) saved the day. I tried to stay with the sketch but I wasn't in the mood for stitching so I found some double stitched ribbon to go in it's place and then added ribbon and buttons until I thought it framed the images well enough and met the rest of the sketch.

I wanted to emboss the "Mom" from Verve's All Because of You, but I didn't have the right color of powder, so I just stamped it with Chocolate Chip on a darker pink CS and clear embossed it. This is where I added to the sketch layout. When I grabbed this Verve set I saw another sentiment that I had to use to finish off the thought I put into the Matilda image.

Now doesn't that make for a great Mom's Day card?

Okay, because I'm just tickled about my tutu's, here's the layer's view of the front of the card.

I cut around the bottom and side of the tutu against the image lines and then gave myself some fold over space at the waist, about 1/16th of an inch. I used the sharp tip of my SU snip scissors to score on the waist, but it cut the paper just a little which ended up okay because it help the fold bend cleaner. I glued the waist to the main image with Glossy accents and then used a dimenional foam to help keep the hemline popped up. I repeated this for the top ruffle of the tutu and again for the second Matilda.

Thanks for staying with me on all my details.


Details:
Stamps: DigiStamp Boutique Ballet Matilda, Verve All Because of You
Paper: WRF Chocolate CS, M&MBI Sassy PP, Pink Passion, LSS Pink
Ink: LaserJet, Prismacolor Markers and Pencils*, SU! Chocolate Chip
Accessories: Offray Orange Cream Satin Ribbon, Dashes-Dots and Checkers Blue stitched ribbon, Buttons, Singer Orange embroidery thread (Target a while back), Oval Nestibilities, SU! Oval punch and EK Success Flower punch, Clear embossing powder, OMS.

Prismacolor Details (Pencil in parentheses): Matilda  Fur - Wheat, Mocha Light, Colorless Blender (Sepia, Light Umber); Nose and Paws - Deco Pink and Wheat; Flower - (Pink, Magenta, Orange, Pale Vermillion); Tutu - (Pink, Process Pink, Magenta); Background top to bottom - Muted Turquoise, Cloud Blue, Mint Cream, Chartreuse, Mocha Light, Mocha Dark, Sepia.

8 comments:

  1. These mice are SO SO SO adorable!!! Wait until my DD sees this card - she is going to freak out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my....this is 'utterly' amazing Janelle...I love how you play around with an idea, and then create something so beautifully stunning... this is truly, truly wonderful and I can't wait to share it with everyone later....thank you so much...Sally-Ann..x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Janelle this is so adorable I love everything about it!! utterly gorgeous!!
    Kerry x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so sweet and pretty!!! Love the paper and color choices!!
    HUgs:)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just gorgeous honey i love the image and the colours you have chosen too big hugs Pops x x x

    ps i have the splint of my finger today and i am going to have a go at the flowers tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janelle - thanks so much for visting today and for leaving a kind comment. I have really enjoyed taking a peek at your lovely blog - the colouring on this cute Mom card is stunning. Love all the detailing, particularly the frilly skirts!
    Sylvia x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card Janelle and such fantastic colouring...absolutely beautiful design :) Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  8. THis is just too cute for words. Sigh... you SO need to teach me how to color! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in today and leaving me a comment! It brightens up my day!

I moderate all of your lovely comments, so if you don't see yours publish right away it's in my Inbox waiting to be read.

Have a wonderful day!