Featured Post

Rain Puddles Design Privacy Policy (Click for entire post)

I'm working on a new privacy policy for my followers, but for now, you should know that if you comment on my site, my site collects da...

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Date Night Kit Tutorial



Hello all,

I wanted to give the construction details to my Blog Hop project here, but I ran out of time before I needed to post the actual project. LOL I hope they work since I wrote this from memory and measurements from the completed project.

So here are the details on how I made the CD holder and the cuts for the tickets and gift card.

1 - 5 7/8 x 10 inch cardstock
1 - 5 x 12 inch cardstock
3 - 4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch cardstock or patterned paper
2 - 2 x 2 1/2 inch copy paper (hidden and optional)
1 - 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch copy paper (hidden and optional)
Martha Stewart Score board or Scor Pal
ISP or Tacky Tape
Eyelet Hole Punch with smallest punch
Craft Blade Knife (Xacto Knife)


Step 1:
Score the 5 7/8 x 10 inch cardstock at (A) 4 7/8 inch and 9 3/4 inch. You will have a 1/4 inch tail for adhesive. Rotate 90 degrees to the left and score at (B) 1 inch. Fold cardstock on the (A) scores and press with a bone folder. Apply sticky tape to 1/4 inch tail and press together. Score line (B) is to make the book crease on the same line, but is not a functional fold or really needed I guess. LOL. Use a circle punch in the center of the open end to make a notch (about 1/3 of the punch should be used.)






Step 2: Score the 5 x 12 inch cardstock at 5, 6, and 7 inch marks. Fold and press with a bone folder. Inside the valley fold line the edges of the 5 and 7 inch scores on the inside (see illustration) adhere some sticky tape.



Step 3: Center the 1-inch tab of the cd insert into the valley fold of the cover and secure using the sticky tape on the cover.




Step 4: Take one of the 4 1/2  by 4 1/2 inch square pieces of cardstock and  mark on the front side the desired position of the ticket holder cuts. For my project the the coordinates for the left cut are: 7/8 inch from the left side and 1 5/8 from the bottom and ending 2 5/8 inch from the left side and 2 inches from the bottom. The right cut coordinates are: 2 inches from the left side and 2 5/8 from the bottom and ending 3 5/8 inch from the left side and 1 1/8 inch from the bottom.

At each end of the cut line use the smallest eyelet punch you have. Use a craft knife and cut the lines.
(Hint: Click on the image to enlarge it and make it easier to read the measurements.)

Step 5: Turn the ticket panel over and apply sticky tape across the top of each line.


Step 6: Take another panel (4 1/2 by 4 1/2) and draw a line 3 1/2 inches long about 2 inches from the bottom. Using the same eyelet punch, make holes at each end of the line. Cut the line as you did for the ticket panel. I punched a small dip in paper below the cut line to make it easier to slide in the card.

Step 7: Turn over the giftcard panel and apply sticky tape above the line.

Optional: If you want to make sure the tickets or giftcard don't slide down into the cuts of the panel, make the following sleeves out of plain copy paper. Adhere each one to the back of the panel before attaching the panel to the inside of the cover. Each sleeve length should be 2 1/4 inches long and the width should be the same length as the slit ( My tickets cuts were 1 1/2 inches and 3 1/2 inches for the giftcard). Make a score line at 1 inch for all and fold. On the outside of the 1 inch length apply sticky tape. This will be adhered just under the cut line. The sticky tape on the panel just above the cut will be for adhering the longer length of the sleeve.






Use sticky tape on the back of the panels and adhere to the insides of the cover. Now would be a great time to add two lengths of ribbon for a bow closure element. (I forgot to do this part on my blog hop sample.) WAIT! Check to make sure that the seam on the CD cover is at the bottom before applying the panels, this way the recipient won't see a seam when they open up their gift kit.

Now you just need to decorate the front!

If you have any questions email me or better yet leave a comment on this post. Other visitors may have the same question as you do!

I would love to see what you create with this tutorial so if you can remember to email or post a comment linking back to your project I would just love it!

Eeks! Just two days left until Christmas. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping in today and leaving me a comment! It brightens up my day!

I moderate all of your lovely comments, so if you don't see yours publish right away it's in my Inbox waiting to be read.

Have a wonderful day!