There are very few times I have created an art journal page. I think it's just my perception of the old secret diary remaining a secret that keeps me from exploring the rather cool world of art journals. Someday I'll overcome it and you will be getting plenty of your share of my "secrets" in journaling with paint and whatever else I can find to use.
Even so, I'm here with a journal layout. I say layout because it's just a sheet of paper that I, if successful, will glue into a journal and a date added to it. The layout is for the current Mix-Ability challenge on Splitcoaststampers. It just seems appropriate that their be a journal page for the MIX99: Holiday Selfie theme.
I didn't think to photograph my steps to create this, but I'll try and guide you through as best as I can.
Blossom Beauty Stamp Set
Creative Palette Monoprinting Plate
Jumbo Snowflake Trio (Retired), alternate set: Delicate Snow)
Winter Snow Stamp
Detail White Embossing Powder
Versafine Onyx Black ink by Tsukineko®
Versamark Watermark ink by Tsukineko®
White Sulphite Paper (Pacon)
Acrylic Paint by Liquitex®
White Gesso by DecoArt®
Zip-Dry Glue by Beacon Adhesives®
Black Brush Pen by Prismacolor
Water-soluble oil pastels
Acrylic paint marker
Stamp Positioner Tool
- Create a monoprint with two shades of green on the Creative Palette. Create more than one print from the first ink so you have extra for layering and sentiments. Let them dry completely.
- Open up the Blossom Beauty Stamp set and remove the free template. Pop out the head shaped mask and set aside. Using the remaining template, tape down onto monoprint and paint white gesso onto the head shape. Let it dry and repeat if gesso is transparent.
- Add the template back onto the gesso area and use flesh paint color of choice. Let dry.
- Remove template and add head shape mask with the eye area masks removed.
- Add gesso tot he eye area and let dry.
- Ink up face stamp from Blossom Beauty with Onyx Black ink and stamp using a stamp positioner to align the stamp over head shape area.
- Paint highlights and shadows onto face.
- With the top of the head shape as the hairline guide paint freestyle hair of choice in color and length. Let dry completely. (Optional: Use the free hair templates downloads on Stampendous website)
- Paint swirls around the face image.
- Stamp snowflakes with Versamark Watermark ink and emboss with Detail White embossing powder.
- Stamp sentiment from Journal Lines above face and then randomly stamp asterisk from same set around the layout.
- Add handwritten words.
- Let dry and glue into journal.