Friday, May 9, 2014

Mixing it up with Decollage and a VLV sketch


It's Friday! I've got another butterfly card. lol Well it's just that time of year and there is never enough signs of spring that one more butterfly on a card didn't hurt.

I've been enthralled in this technique and all the possibilities it holds for a while so I decided to make it a challenge the next time I hosted in the Mix-Ability forum. I made up a few options to get the idea across and you can find them in the MIX67: Take it AWAY! forum.

There are two main credits that I want to mention about this technique.

I was completely taken away with this video and how the acrylic paint was completely and cleanly removed from the canvas. It's a really amazing result! Watch the first couple of minutes and you'll see how those see-through rain drops are created and then it's explained later on in the video (~8:40).


The next credit is art history. This challenge is from the art form D├ęcollage. Remember those movie posters that were pasted on a wall that had many layers of older posters underneath? Well I think some curious pedestrian started to peel away the layers to see what was underneath the top poster and then *poof*, it inspired an artist to hone it into an art form. D├ęcollage was born. The accurate details of this can be found here.

Okay now for my project. I'm using the Viva La Verve sketch for my card which I am the host over on the Viva La Verve Blog. Play along with us if you can, it's a fun sketch.





I'm using Verve stamps, dies and ribbon were the names and links can be found at the end of this post. The sentiment is stamped on white paper painted with pink acrylic and then a clear coat of sealant was brushed on. Once dry clear candle wax was rubbed over the sentiment and painted with white acrylic. Once that was dry it was simple to rub off the paint where the wax was rubbed. This is a furniture distressing technique I've been wanting to try out and on a small piece of paper is exactly the right size for me.

The die cut butterflies were stamped and painted with water soluble oil pastels, rubbed and heat tool melted into the paper.

For the mixed media background, I painted a book page with the same pink acrylic and sealed it as I did the sentiment paper. I painted over the entire piece of paper with violet acrylic paint and let it dry completely. When that was dry I used a stencil over the paper and sprayed rubbing alcohol (you could also use water) into the open stencil areas. While the stencil was still in place I rubbed the paint away. If you want it done quickly you could use a small stencil brush or kitchen scrubber. Just make sure it's done lightly so the  layers don't come up too quickly.

The layers were glued together and a bow wrapped around the base where I adhered a trim die panel. Then it was time to add some journal style mixed media finishes. I used Sharpie markers for a border on the stenciled panel and the white soluble oil pastel on the pennant trim and base green layer.

We've made it to the end of my post! Have a great weekend and find some time to get crafty!

Here's the links to both challenges.


Viva La Verve Sketch Challenge for 


Details:
Stamps: Die Sidekicks, Being Awesome Plain Jane (Verve Stamps)
Paper: Kraft, White, Green (Wausau), plum (Stampin' Up), plum (Stampin' Up), book page ($1 bin, Michaels)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (Memento, Tsukineko), acrylic paints, WS oil pastels (Binney Smith), permanent markers (Sharpie)
Accessories: All Aflutter Die, Pennant Trim dies (A Cut Above Die, Verve), Pastel Polka Dots Ribbon (Verve Stamps), tealight candle for wax, matte sealant (Mod Podge), rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, acrylic kitchen scrubbie ($1 Store package of 3)


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Amazing colors and truly an awesome technique! Fantastic card, Janelle!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping in today and leaving me a comment! It brightens up my day!

I moderate all of your lovely comments, so if you don't see yours publish right away it's in my Inbox waiting to be read.

Have a wonderful day!